Learn how to make this simple DIY ribbon wreath.
They look beautiful hanging on a front door or sitting as a centerpiece of a dining room table with candles in the center. There are many options for sizes as well as styles and colors of ribbon. This DIY craft is fun for the whole family or a girlfriend get-together.
So grab your supplies and let's make a ribbon wreath together.
How to Make a Ribbon Wreath Video
How to Make a Simple Ribbon Wreath
- Wire wreath frame. These come in so many different sizes. Buy the size that suits your needs best. I find the 18-inch wreath frames are the best for my sized door.
- Ribbon- the amount you need will vary depending on the size of the wreath frame you are using.
- Wreath hanger to hang
- Floral picks (optional)
Instructions for making a simple DIY ribbon wreath
- Purchase supplies needed to complete project (see list above). Watch tutorial to best gauge how much ribbon you may need. Better to have too much ribbon than not enough ( I can't stress this enough).
- Remove all excess packaging from ribbon and floral pics and wire frame.
- With the wire frame arch facing down towards your work surface, tie a knot around and onto the 2 center wires of the wreath frame. If you are using a wired ribbon, you don't need to double knot it. Just be sure that you leave a tail of at least an inch. If you are using a non-wired ribbon, I'd recommend a double knot. Just to be sure that its secured and won't come undone.
- Once your knot is secure, flip the frame over on the work surface so the knot is down (touching the work surface) and the arch of the frame is now facing up. Pull the tail of the ribbon up through the frame so it won't be visible from the underside. This is not a big deal if you just want to leave it. You won't see it anyhow since it will be on the back. This is just how I prefer to do mine and keep it nice and clean.
- Having the wreath frame now facing up, you can begin construction. With the inside or the outside channel (no it really doesn't matter), pull up a loop of ribbon the desired size (the loops of ribbon I did for this project were 3.5" and the ribbon was 4" wide-for reference). You'll want to try and make each one close to the same size. Perfection, however, isn't at all necessary. (If you'd prefer to add more dimension, you can also make some of the loops larger. Again, this is entirely up to you and its really customizable for each person. Do whatever you think will look good). See detailed pictures at bottom of post as well.
(The underside of the wreath. Don't worry if yours doesn't look like this-nobody will see it)
Have you made a similar style DIY ribbon wreath and have any tips or tricks you'd like to share?
Please post in the comments section below. I'd love to know how you've made these beautiful wreaths. What's your favorite type of ribbon to use?
Shop this post
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Antler Wreath hanger
- 12" wire wreath frame
- 14" wire wreath frame
- 18" wire wreath frame
- Black & white buffalo check ribbon 2.5"
- Red & black buffalo check wire ribbon 2.5"
- Holiday floral picks (optional)
I hope you all enjoyed making your wreath. Happy holidays.
Yes smaller size ribbon will def work for this project. The only thing I will say is that with smaller sized ribbon, you will use more of it but it will for sure work. Good luck with your project, let me know if you have any other questions.