This easy holiday cheese spread recipe is one of the appetizers I look forward to most during the holidays. Want to know the best thing about this savory cheese spread? It can be made days ahead of time! I promise it’s sure to be a crowd favorite, trust me.
What are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and let’s make something delicious together!
I love being able to make quick (and delicious) appetizers when I’m entertaining. This easy holiday cheese spread is just that. Easy!
My mom has been making this AMAZINGLY delicious holiday cheese spread appetizer for years now. Since the first time she made it, it’s become a tradition for holidays, events, and gatherings. We all love it! I promise that if you make a batch you won’t be disappointed either.
This easy cheese spread is savory with just a touch of heat. The best part about this cheese spread is how totally customizable it is too! Prefer more heat? Easy enough-just add more cayenne pepper. Prefer no heat? Omit it completely. Don’t fancy pecans? Use a different nut altogether. Literally the perfect snack for a Friday night at home on the couch binge-watching your favorite show on Netflix too.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Holiday cheese spread recipe ingredients:
(2) cups grated Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar (any brand will do)
(1) bunch of green onions (chopped)
3/4 cup chopped pecans
(1) cup mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
OPTIONAL: Top with jelly or jam (you determine the amount) or can be omitted if you prefer a savory spread.
Cheese spread recipe Instructions:
- Grate extra sharp white cheddar. You’ll need 2 cups. You can use a food processor or a hand grater to accomplish this. I have done it with both. The food processor just makes the process faster.
- Wash and chop 1 full bunch of green onions.
- Measure and set aside 1 cup mayonnaise.
- Chop pecans (to desired piece size). You’ll need 3/4 cup chopped pieces. Tip: you can find small bags of pieces already chopped in the baking aisle of most grocery stores if you don’t want to buy a large bag. I prefer to buy bulk bags since I do a lot of baking.
- Measure out 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Add 2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. I prefer to mix mine in my kitchen-aid stand mixer, but by hand works just as well.
- Combine 1 cup mayonnaise to shredded cheese and mix until mostly incorporated.
- Add chopped pecans and mix again.
- Incorporate cayenne pepper to taste. 1/2 teaspoon is recommended and doesn’t offer extreme heat. Some people don’t like spicy food. My husband prefers this recipe with 1 full teaspoon. It’s really up to you. Keep in mind that the longer this recipe sits, the more incorporated the ingredients become.
Serving ideas for this appetizer:
- You can put this delicious spread into a bowl lined with cling wrap. When ready to serve, tip bowl over onto a serving platter. This step isn’t at all necessary. You can also put the spread into a bowl with a lid or any serving platter desired and cover until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, slightly warm (not hot), some jam or jelly of your choice. I prefer raspberry. Drizzle over the top of the cheese spread. If you prefer, set in a dish on the side and let your guests decide if they want the jelly or not. Note: jelly can be spread on top without being warmed at all. I just find that it’s easier to drizzle it rather than spread.
- Serve with crackers, baguette, and or fresh sliced fruit.
Variations for this holiday Cheese Spread:
- Try a different type of hard cheese. There are so many different types of cheese out there-why not experiment?
- Try a different type of nut. I have made this recipe with chopped walnuts as well as cashews. Both were equally as delicious. Pecans are still my preferred though.
- Add some dried cherries or dried cranberries into the mix. If you don’t want to add jam or jelly to the top or have on the side, why not try something sweet mixed in? Just make sure the pieces are small.
- Great on a bagel or a sandwich in place of sliced cheese.
This is such a simple recipe and great for any event. My husband always requests that I make this for him and his friends when he’s going on an overnight stay-cation somewhere. It’s easy to transport and is easy to store. Sure to be a crowd favorite. I usually bring copies of the recipe along with me-someone always asks for it!
Seems there are a lot of people these days with nut allergies or sensitivities. It may be a good idea to inform guests that this dish contains nuts. Be specific on what type of nut. Most nut allergies are peanut and not pecan but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
What combinations of this cheese spread appetizer have you tried?
Do you have a favorite or most requested cheese spread recipe that you’d like to share? Feel free to link below.
Have you made this recipe with a variation that was a hit? We’d love to hear from you!
EASY HOLIDAY CHEESE SPREAD RECIPE
Easy holiday cheese spread recipe.
Perfect for any party, event or just a night at home. Add jam or jelly for a sweet and savory variation.
- 2 cups Extra Sharp White Cheddar (grated)
- 1 cup Mayonaise (not miracle whip)
- 3/4 cup Pecans (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (add to taste)
- 1 bunch Green Onions
1. Grate extra sharp white cheddar. You’ll need 2 cups. You can use a food processor or a hand grater to accomplish this. I have done it with both. The food processor just makes the process faster.
2. Wash and chop 1 full bunch of green onions.
3. Measure and set aside 1 cup mayonnaise.
4. Chop pecans (to desired piece size). You’ll need 3/4 cup chopped pieces. Tip: you can find small bags of pieces already chopped in the baking aisle of most grocery stores if you don’t want to buy a large bag. I prefer to buy bulk bags since I do a lot of baking.
5. Measure out 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper and set aside.
6. Add 2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar to large mixing bowl or stand mixer. I prefer to mix mine in my kitchen-aid stand mixer, but by hand works just as well.
7. Combine 1 cup mayonnaise to shredded cheese and mix until mostly incorporated.
8. Add chopped pecans and mix again.
9. Incorporate cayenne pepper to taste. 1/2 teaspoon is recommended and doesn’t offer extreme heat. Keep in mind that the longer this recipe sits, the more incorporated the ingredients become.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Many blessings from our homestead,