This delicious cheesy southwest breakfast bake is sure to become a family favorite.
Quick and easy or make-ahead recipe that makes breakfast time (and clean up) a snap.
Tips and tricks for this breakfast casserole recipe:
- This is a great dish to whip up one day (or even two) days before it's intended to be served. Make Christmas morning easy, and more enjoyable by doing all the work before hand.
- We usually serve this topped with salsa and cilantro. One or both of these things can be omitted.
- The base ingredients of this casserole make it so easy to add other ingredients your family loves (bacon, sausage, green onion, potato). Try some variations and see what you like.
- We usually serve our Christmas morning breakfast casserole with cinnamon rolls and bacon. To make it easier, cook the bacon in the oven along with your breakfast casserole on a separate sheet.
- If you prefer to have a thinner casserole, feel free to use a larger baking dish. Just be sure to adjust baking time accordingly. You can check to see if it's fully baked by inserting a toothpick into the center of the casserole. It should feel firm and come out clean. Edges of the casserole when fully baked should be a light golden brown.
Ingredients needed to make this Breakfast Bake
- 12 eggs
- 1 pint cottage cheese (2% or 4%)
- 1 pound pepper jack cheese-grated
- 7 oz can green chiles (4 oz can will work as well). (optional ingredient, but highly recommeded)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking POWDER
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Softened butter (just enough to lightly grease the 9x13" baking dish
- Salsa (optional)
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro (optional)
- Fresh sliced avocado (3-4) depending on how many you're serving (optional)
How to make the Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Bake
1.If you are making and baking this the same day, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit now. If you are making to bake later, omit this step.
2. Begin by mixing dry ingredients in a small bowl. ¼ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and pinch of salt (optional) and set aside.
3. Mix all wet ingredients together in a stand mixer.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in a mixing bowl or Kitchenmaid stand mixer.
5. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Set aside.
6. Then, lightly grease with salted (or unsalted) butter a 9x13" pyrex glass baking dish.
7. Gently pour casserole mixture into lightly greased baking dish.
8. Next, place casserole dish into 350 degree Fahrenheit per-heated oven for 35-45 minutes. Edges should be a light golden brown. If toothpick is inserted into the center of the casserole, it should feel firm and should come out clean when removed.
9. Remove the casserole from oven and let stand at least 5 minutes before cutting and serving. Top with salsa and chopped fresh (or freeze dried) cilantro and or green onions. You can also top with sour cream and chives if you'd prefer.
How to serve the Cheesy Breakfast Bake
We love to top this particular version of the breakfast bake with sour cream, fresh homemade restaurant style salsa, and finely minced cilantro and sliced avocado.
Other ways we have served this include:
- Minced bacon bits, sour cream and chives
- Add extra cheese on the top and bake for an extra 2 minutes so the cheese is a nice golden brown
- Sauteed yellow onions, cremini mushrooms and feta cheese
- Homemade onion bacon jam
- Sweet red pepper jelly
Shop this post
Print recipe for later!
Quick and Easy Breakfast Casserole
This quick and easy casserole is the perfect dish for any holiday breakfast. Add sour cream, salsa, and fresh chopped cilantro for a rich, fresh taste. Make it the day before for ease on holiday mornings.
- 1 pint Cottage Cheese (2% or 4%)
- 1 lb PepperJack Cheese (grated) can substitute Monteray Jack
- 1 7 oz can Green Chiles (diced)
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking POWDER
- ½ teaspoon Salt (optional)
1. Grease 9x13" pyrex glass baking dish with salted (or unsalted) butter. Set aside.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Mix dry ingredients together in small bowl and set aside.
4. In kitchenmaid stand mixer, or with hand mixer, combine all wet ingredients together (eggs, green chiles, grated cheese, cottage cheese).
5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and combine.
6. Slowly pour casserole mixture into greased baking dish.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until edges are a light golden brown and a toothpick stuck into the middle feels firm and comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes.
9. Cut and serve.
10. Top with sour cream, salsa, chopped fresh cilantro.
*feel free to try other toppings as well. You can always omit the green chiles and make with Monterey Jack cheese in place of pepper jack. Then top with crumbled bacon or add to the casserole mixture before baking*
Pin it for later!
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make this delicious cheesy southwest breakfast bake. Let me know in the comments if you make this recipe and what you think!
This simple recipe combines your favorite breakfast ingredients into a multi-layered mixture oozing with deliciousness.
Thank you. It's really good.
It's a great casserole for all occasions.
Thank you for sharing. I love breakfast casseroles. They are good for so many meals