Looking for a simple non-toxic play dough (cloud dough) recipe for your kids? Well look no further!
This DIY cloud dough is really fun to play with and even easier to make. My kids have had fun with this stuff for hours this week. The best thing about these particular recipes, is that they utilize things you already have at home. This is a great sensory play activity, the fact that it uses all non-toxic ingredients makes it even better. So head to the kitchen and make a batch, and see who enjoys it more-you or your little ones.
Prefer to watch the video tutorial for this DIY cloud dough? You can watch it here.
Ingredients you’ll need to make DIY cloud dough: Roughly yields 2 cups of dough
*If you’d like to print the recipe and instructions for later, scroll to the bottom of this post and you’ll see a printable recipe card.*
- (2) cups corn starch (brand doesn’t matter).
- (1) cup lotion (any brand or scent will do).
- Food coloring (optional). Around 10-15 drops depending on how bright you want the color to be.
Directions for making DIY cloud dough:
1. Measure out (2) cups of cornstarch and put into a mixing bowl.
2. Next, measure out (1) cup of lotion and add that to the mixing bowl.
3. Stir mixture together with a spatula, your hands or in a stand mixer. Mix until dough begins to form and resembles a crumbly pie dough.
4. Begin mixing dough by hand to fully incorporate. You’ll continue to mix together until the dough forms and no longer sticks to your hands. If the mixture is too sticky, add small amounts of cornstarch until dough no longer sticks. It’s best to add 1-2 tablespoons at a time. If dough is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of lotion until consistency you desire is achieved. I have found the 2:1 ratio pretty accurate. However, some lotions just seem to mix differently than others.
Having fun yet?
5. Continue to work your dough by hand until it no longer sticks to the palm of your hands when kneading it.
6. Divide dough into smaller sections and add food coloring (optional). Add until desired color achieved. 10-15 drops depending on how dense you want the color to be.
7. Once your food coloring is mixed in, your cloud dough is ready for play!
DIY cloud dough version #2:
So to make this second version of could dough, all you need to do is substitute the lotion for hair conditioner. I actually prefer this cloud dough because it has more of a play dough like consistency. Both are fun to play with and its good to make it both ways to see what your little ones prefer.
Have you ever made cloud dough before? What recipe do you like to use? Leave in the comments section below. I love to try new things.
Pin(terest) it for later:
DIY Cloud Dough | How to make cloud dough at home | 2 ingredient recipe
Simple, non-toxic cloud dough recipe uses ingredients you already have at home. Hours of fun for your little ones. Great for sensory play.
1. Add (2) cups of cornstarch to mixing bowl.
2. Add (1) cup of lotion to the bowl.
3. Blend with spatula, stand mixer or your hands until it resembles a crumbly pie dough.
4. Begin blending dough with your hands (if you werent doing so already). Keep kneading until dough forms a ball and no longer sticks to your hands.
5. Divide dough into sections and add food coloring until desired color achieved for each piece. I found 10-15 drops gave me light, pastel colors.
6. PLAYTIME. Enjoy!
- I did find that different lotions/conditioners combine differently. So you may need to play with proportions. I found that 2:1 ratio was pretty accurate for most lotion/conditioner brands.
- If your dough is to dry, add more lotion or conditioner to mixture 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- If your dough is too sticky, add more cornstarch 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired texture achieved.